Monday, October 20, 2008

July 2, 2008

Originally posted : July 2, 2008



Alright, I tried this whole blogging thing before but kinda fell off the wagon but now since I'm off work for the next year on maternity leave maybe this will be my connection to the outside world and an insight to my new attempt at motherhood.

Our beautiful little girl was born on June 21, 2008 at 1313hrs. Doesn't that sound better then 1:13pm? She was 9lbs 1 oz and 21 inches long. Labour was just as bad as I thought it would be. My biggest fear of not being able to have the epidural came true. We tried but because of my back surgery and the scar tissue the drugs didn't work for me. Emma was pushing down pretty hard on my back and the pain was more intense then the original surgery was. After 12 hours of intense labour and no progress on her end the decision was made to have a c-section. Definatly not the "birth plan" we thought of when we took our prenatal classes but she needed to come out before I had no energy left. I do have to say the nurses were just amazing!! I loved how they stayed by our side the whole time and were so encouraging. I didn't expect it at all. Poor Darrell says to me later "I'm sorry I didn't know what to do because everything they told us in our classes the nurses were doing and saying." It was cute.



The nice thing about a c-section (is ther such a thing?) is that I got to spend a bit more time in the hospital. So no being kicked out within 24 hours for me. It was nice as it gave Darrell and I time to adjust to feedings and such with the help of the nurses. It was great apperantly there is no overnight stays allowed in the hospital but for some reason Darrell was allowed to stay, not sure if it was because it was a c-section or because we kept the door shut to our private room and the nurses forgot he was there? When it was hometime though, we were both ready to go as hospital beds definatly aren't the most comfortable things in the world! Just before we left the nurses weighed her again and found out she lost almost a full pound so they were worried and upset that no one caught it sooner. They had us start supplementing with formula and it was amazing at how much happier she was now that mommy wasn't starving her!


I think the hardest part for me so far with adjusting to motherhood is the fact that I still am not suppling her with enough milk. After 10 days I'm still supplementing and that just frustrates me to no end. It hurts to know that I can't feed her on demand and I really really wanted to have this bonding time with her. I'm still trying each day but still having to give her quite a bit of formula to keep her content.

Here are some pictures of our beautiful little girl.

Here she is at home... 9 days old and ready for a trip out because Daddy wants to show her off to his work.

No comments: